This position is based at our Hampton Farms location in Portales, NM.
The Packaging Machine Operator of Hampton Farms is involved in the manufacture of food products intended for the consumer. The Packaging Machine Operator provides a critical position in Hampton farms food quality and safety for producing our peanut product. Being a producer of peanuts and peanut products, the Packaging Machine Operator is aware of risks involved with regards to maintaining Hampton Farms quality standards, proper packaging, proper labeling, and all documentation is correct and accurate. The Packaging Machine Operator is trained in various areas pertaining to the job required. The Packaging Machine Operator must maintain a clean and sanitary environment and must be familiar with the activity on the production floor to react if a crisis arises.
Base pay: $12.25 per hour
Essential Duties and Description: include the following though other duties may be assigned:
- Work in conjunction with all Hampton Farms team members supporting all areas of the facility.
- Partnering with other Hampton Farms team members in being committed to delivering the best possible experience to our customers and employees in support of our mission, vision and values.
- Small Pack lines (Hayssen 1, Hayssen 2, Viking and Hayssen Raw); verify the correct product being packaged; correct film being used, labeled with best by date and Julian Lot# and sealed properly. Make sure the correct boxes and tape color are being used. Each box has the proper label on it. Each pallet produced is labeled correctly, pallet tags.
- Bulk line; verify the correct product being packaged; correct boxes and tape color are being used. Monitor box printer to ensure correct dates/Julian Lot #’s are being put on the boxes. Ensure each pallet produced is labeled correctly, pallet tags.
- Transferring peanuts into packaging tanks, ensure the correct product (salted, roasted, flavored or raw) is going into that tank.
- Communication with Production Manager if a problem arises.
- Make sure all machines are properly started and stopped to minimize maintenance and down time.
- Record daily production on Production Report.
- Work in conjunction with Quality Department to assure that bags are being sealed correctly, code dates and weights are correct.
- Knowledge of packaging weights and how to obtain using tabletop scale.
- Knowledge of setting up bag printer and box printer, verify information is correct.
- When using labels on boxes, ensure labels are correct before applying them to the box.
- Knowledge of former sizes, what former goes with what machine/film. When work is completed, return former to correct location.
- Knowledge of film and sizes, what film goes with what product. When work is completed, return film rolls to proper location in warehouse.
- Make sure all trash is removed daily and at the end of the shift.
- Clean peanut spills immediately when occurs.
- Verify with Production Schedule with pack size, product and amount that will be in each box. Ensure that the amount of bags are correct going into each box.
- Position requires standing for up to eight hours or more and lifting and stacking of boxes that weigh up to 30 pounds. Bulk Line will require employee who could lift up to 50 pounds.
- Be able to work in extreme environmental changes such as weather.
- Knowledge of sanitation procedures including Raw Clean-up and Flavor Clean-up.
- Forklift experience on an as needed basis. If forklift certified, will operate, and maintain preventively production vehicles and equipment, including daily forklift checklist. Will be Hampton Farms licensed forklift operator if applicable.
- License Forklift Operators will obtain corrugated materials, and pallets from warehouse location.
- Motivate staff to make an effective and efficient team.
Skills and Competencies:
- Based on job performance, has required skills and knowledge to complete the responsibilities of his/her role.
- Demonstrates a good understanding of workplace policies and rules, customer’s requests and production/business needs.
- Understands the origin and purpose behind company policies, procedures, and practices.
- Acts in accordance with the company’s mission, vision, and values.
- Must possess good communication skills, written and oral.
- Participates in GMP Training, annual or as assigned.
- Understands HACCP Standards and SQF requirements.
Measures for Success:
- 100 % correct orders, orders fulfilled accurately and timely.
- Maintaining quality service by following organization standards.
- Weekly poundage goals achieved based on customer orders.
- Daily production goals achieved based on customer specs and orders.
- Work with team members maintaining daily sanitation by cleaning work area at end of shift.
General Expected Behaviors
- Solution Oriented, working until a problem is solved or outcome achieved.
- Reacts to challenges by locating or providing solutions.
- Responsible for identifying all requirements of a tasks, evaluates opportunities or strengths than takes the appropriate action as required.
- Makes timely, well-considered decisions based on current data available and is flexible with scheduled work hours/shifts.
- Actively follows all company policies and procedures.
- Engages other employees in setting high safety awareness standards.
- Include safety emphasis in all employee meetings.
- Wears proper PPE at all times.
- ANYONE who is aware of a food safety/quality issue is to stop production immediately and inform Quality Assurance and their Manager or Supervisor of the food safety/quality issue(s) to determine whether or not product/materials should be placed on hold.
- Dependable and punctual to ensure company and workplace goals.
- Treats everyone with respect and dignity.
- Responds to challenges with a sense of urgency, informing other team members as required and acting accordingly.
- Actively assesses information and identifies underlying issues as required to ensure a friendly workplace.
- Plans and aligns appropriate resource to accomplish company goals.
- Good written and verbal skills and able to communicate in a clear and understanding manner.
- Identifies barriers to communication and strategies to eliminate barriers.
- Applies good questioning and listening skills to ensure their understanding of information being shared.
- May coach and lead production employees in questioning, listening, and identifying barriers to communication.
Additional Sanitation Responsibilities:
- Knowledge of Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures.
- Ensure all chemical containers are labeled and used in the correct way.
- Ensure overall compliance and adherence to sanitation schedule and/or requirements.
- Ensure that the monthly pre-op inspection/cleaning is completed properly, and equipment passes.
** If the Packaging Machine Operator is out, a trained responsible person shall be designated to run the Packaging Machines. Back-up operator will be designee, there are 3 employees per packaging line that are cross trained. **
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Must be willing to work overtime and weekends.
- Ability to clearly present recommendations/ideas and to summarize issues.
- Ability to appropriately handle and maintain confidential material.
- Experience in production operations in food manufacturing.
- Must be able to work well both independently and collaboratively.
- Second language (Spanish), a strong plus
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
None Required. Forklift certifications, helpful or as needed.
Job Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that are required and must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to ensure individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Degree of Physical Demands (Strength) usually associated with the essential functions of this job classification are as follows: Medium Work involves exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently or an amount greater than negligible and up to 10 pounds constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of these for Light Duty. Continuous standing in one location for long periods (2-3 hours before break).
Other demand levels for this job may include the following, infrequently:
Climbing: Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs or hands and arms. Body agility is emphasized. Described in terms of height, steepness, duration, and type of structure climbed.
Occasionally – Activity exists up to 1/3 of the time.
Balancing: Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing, crouching or erratically moving surfaces; or maintaining body equilibrium when performing mobile dexterity duties. Described in terms of type or condition of surface and activities during which balance must be maintained. Occasionally – Activity exists up to 1/3 of the time.
Stooping: Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist, requiring full use of the lower extremities and back muscles. Described in terms of duration. Occasionally – Activity exists up to 1/3 of the time.
Crouching: Bending the body downward and forward by bending legs and spine. Described in terms of duration. Occasionally – Activity exists up to 1/3 of the time.
Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction. Frequently – Activity exists up to 1/3 to 2/3 of the time.
Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or otherwise working with hand or hands. Fingers are involved only to the extent that they are an extension of the hand, such as to turn a switch or shift. Frequently – Activity exists up to 1/3 to 2/3 of the time.
Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds by ear. Occasionally – Activity exists up to 1/3 of the time.
Depth Perception: Three-dimensional vision. Ability to judge distances and spatial relationships so as to see objects where and as they actually are. Frequently – Activity exists up to 1/3 to 2/3 of the time.
Color Vision: Ability to identify and distinguish colors. Occasionally – Activity exists up to 1/3 of the time.
- Combination of manufacturing environment along with duties that will require employee to work in a production/plant environment where physical hazards such as industrial equipment and forklifts may be present.
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- 401K Matching
- Paid Vacation and Personal Days
- Paid Holidays
- Bereavement Leave
- Military Leave
- Jury Duty Leave
EOE – Equal Opportunity Employer
For Additional Information Visit: www.hamptonfarms.com