This position is based at our Hampton Farms Peanut Butter location in Franklin, VA.
Hampton Farms is the leading In-Shell Peanut Company in the US. We are also a leading producer of other types of nuts and nut butters for the retail and commercial markets. You can find our product in most grocery stores and major league baseball stadiums. We distribute under the Hampton Farms brand and are also a leading private label manufacturer.
The Roaster Operator of Hampton Farms is involved in the manufacture of food products intended for the consumer. The operation and operator provide a critical step in Hampton Farms food quality and safety for producing our peanut product. Being a producer of peanut products, the roaster operator is aware of the risk involved with regard to proper temperature, speeds, bed depth, roasting color and other aspects of the facility. In the event the roaster operator is unavailable, the team lead will assume the responsibilities until the roaster operator is able to continue with production. The roaster operator backs up other shift roaster operators if/when they are not available.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Expected to arrive at his/her workstation 10 minutes prior to the beginning of the shift to allow time for a proper shift passover discussion with the operator of their equipment from the previous shift.
- Verify with supervisor/team lead that correct peanuts are being used, and Roaster log paperwork matches the Roasting Peanuts reports
- Inspect machines, calibrates, and adjusts as required to ensure consistent operation
- Ensure that machine is started and stopped to minimize maintenance and downtime
- Initiate start-up procedures per company policies
- Communicate with management to maintain constant flow and correct peanuts
- Maintain a consistent and constant product (peanut) flow from roaster to storage bins
- Maintain the correct temperature of the roaster, record the average temperature of the peanuts, belt speed, and bed depth to achieve the correct roast and color required for each customer
- Record temperature readings on Roasting log. Turn in paperwork to management
- Run a color check every 30 minutes until we have two consecutive good checks then check each hour on the roasted peanuts to ensure color meets customer requirements & inform QA dept.
- Work with management throughout shift to ensure CCP’s are within spec
- Ensure the right peanuts for the production schedule are selected and roasted in spec. They are delivered to the storage bins for the ingredients room in order to meet production schedule
- Perform cleaning of roaster, roasting area, and blanching area
- Maintaining constant vigilance for possibility of fire, through monitoring of all roasting operations
- Able to learn how to work with high and low PH chemicals such as alpet and Alkaline cleaners every other weekend
- Help fellow employees in other work areas as needed
- Do any other assignments or fill out any other forms that are ask of you by your Team Lead or Supervisor
Skills and Competencies:
- GMP Training (New hire and Annual)
- Follow GMP’s for Fire Roaster Prevention Safety
- SOP’s for Receiving Program, and Storage Program (Inventory Control, Stock Rotation, & Raw Materials)
- Able to earn & maintain a valid forklift license from Hampton Farms for the designated work area
- Able to earn & maintain the right to operate the floor scrubber and be able to maintain it
- Knowledge and proper use of the forklift Inspection Form
- Must be able to utilize necessary chemicals such as alpet and Alkaline cleaner for cleaning & use of application equipment 30 % of the work week
- Above average computer skills
- Basic math skills
- Above average communication skills
- Measures for Success:
- 98 % correct orders, orders fulfilled accurately and timely.
- Daily production goal of 14500 lbs per hour (combined Line 1 and Line 2)
- Less than 15% downtime for line 1 and 20% downtime for line 2
- Work with team members maintaining daily sanitation by cleaning work area at end of shift
- Knows and adheres to GMP policy and all Quality policies and procedures.
- Assists in identifying and or reporting non-conforming product to aid in eliminating waste.
- Communicates daily with Quality to ensure customer specifications are met.
General Expected Behaviors
- Solution Oriented, works to solve problems or achieve outcome
- If needed, find alternative ways to complete a task
- Reacts to challenges by locating or providing solutions.
- Responsible for identifying all requirements of a task, evaluates opportunities or strengths then takes the appropriate action as required.
- Makes timely, well-considered decisions based on current data available and is flexible with scheduled work hours/shifts
- Supports the team by offering to help with unexpected work as needed
- Actively follows and ensures all company policies and procedures.
- Engages other employees in setting high safety awareness standards.
- Include safety emphasis in all employee meetings.
- Wears proper PPE and use appropriate approved supplied lifting devices at all times
- Dependable and punctual to ensure company and workplace goals.
- Treats everyone with respect and dignity.
- Responds to challenges with a sense of urgency, informing other team members as required and acting accordingly.
- Actively assesses information and identifies issues as necessary or required to ensure a friendly workplace.
- Plans and aligns appropriate resources to accomplish company goals.
- Good written and verbal skills and able to communicate in a clear and understanding manner.
- Applies good questioning and listening skills to ensure understanding of information being shared.
- Treats everyone with respect and dignity, even when he/she may not agree on opinions
- Identifies barriers to communication and works towards eliminating barriers.
Additional Sanitation Responsibilities:
- Cleaning your work area and prepare for next shift
- Use various high and low PH chemicals such as alpet and Alkaline cleaner
- Follow sanitation schedule for weekends and clean breaks
Education and/or Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent(GED).
- Experience with food manufacturing Principles and implementation.
- 1-3 years’ production manufacturing experience.
- Must be able to work well both independently and collaboratively.
- Team Player
- Work well individually and with others
Combination of manufacturing environment along with duties that will require employee to work in a production/plant environment where physical hazards such as industrial equipment and forklifts may be present and having to work with high & low PH chemicals such as alpet, proclean degreaser, Alkaline cleaner, and Steam cleaners on a regular basis.
Job Physical Demands:
- Continuous standing in one location for long periods (2-3 hours before break)
- Lifting: Intermediate lifting up to 55 lbs for up to half your shift (up to 4 hours)
- Climbing : ladders, stairs, etc. –using feet and legs or hands and arms 1/3 of the time
- Stooping: Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist
- Crouching: Bending the body downward and forward by bending legs and spine
- Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction
- Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or otherwise working with hand or hands
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds by ears
- Depth Perception: Three dimensional vision. Ability to judge distances
- Color Vision: Ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Continuous Learning
- Job Knowledge
- Use of Technology
- Problem Solving
- Project Management
- Reasoning Ability
- Exceptional Interpersonal skills
- Team player
- Treats everyone with respect and dignity
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employee Assistance (EAP)
- Employee Referral Program
- Tuition Assistance (TAP)
- 401K Match
- Paid Vacation and Personal Days
- Paid Holidays
- Bereavement Leave
- Military Leave
- School Leave
- Jury Duty Leave
Core Values “Equip”
- This job is contingent upon satisfactory completion of reference checks, education verification, pre-employment drug screening, and a criminal history check.
EOE – Equal Opportunity Employer
For Additional Information Visit: www.hamptonfarms.com