This position is based at our Hampton Farms Peanut Butter location in Franklin, VA.
Hampton Farms is the leading In-Shell Peanut Company in the US. We are also a leading producer of other types of nuts and nut butters for the retail and commercial markets. You can find our product in most grocery stores and major league baseball stadiums. We distribute under the Hampton Farms brand and are also a leading private label manufacturer.
Pay range: $15.00 – $17.00 per hour
To be involved in the manufacture of food products intended for the consumer. The Ingredient operator provides a critical step in HF food quality and safety for producing our peanut butter products. Must work in conjunction with production supervisor and quality assurance department as well as other Hampton Farms team members. Being a producer of peanut products, the ingredient operator is aware of risks involved with regard to proper formula usage, correct ingredient feed rates, peanut flow from correct bin to milling, rework, and other aspects of the facility. The ingredient operator must maintain a clean and sanitary operation. The ingredient operator is trained in various areas pertaining to the job required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Expected to arrive at his/her workstation 10 minutes prior to the beginning of the shift to allow time for a proper shift passover discussion with the operator of their equipment from the previous shift.
- Verify with Production Supervisor/team lead that correct peanuts are being used and communicate with management to confirm correct peanuts are being supplied
- Verify with Production Supervisor/team lead which formula is to be used
- Verify that the mill hopper is cleaned and sanitized
- Maintain a consistent and constant product (peanut) flow from the storage bins to the jar filler or bulk station
- Understand the process flow of the product from the time it enters the primary bin and weight belt feed to bin in ingredients to the filler on package line, and / or bulk station
- Vacuum any dust off ingredient bags before dumping into bins
- Run the hot oil flush system for product clean out and sanitation
- Understand the re-work system and percent feedback rate of product allowed by management—fill out all associated paperwork for traceability
- Record lot numbers of each ingredient used in production
- Record any downtime, length of time and explanation on downtime report sheets
- Follow the FIFO (first in first out) procedure for ingredients usage.
- Maintain adequate levels of each ingredient being used. Verify the correct rates and record on the ingredient Feed Rate Form. Turn paperwork into management
- Maintain a clean and sanitary work area during each shift by sweeping & mopping the ingredient floor, wipping hoppers, sweeping platform deck, and emptying trash cans. At the end of the shift sweep the ingredient floor area
- Help fellow employees in other areas where needed
- Any other work assigned by the production shift supervisor or team lead
- Complete any other reports or forms assigned by management
Skills and Competencies:
- GMP Training (New hire and Annual)
- Inventory Control, Stock Rotation, Raw Materials and Finished Product
- Above average computer skills
- Basic math skills
- Above average communication skills
- Measures for Success:
- 98 % correct orders, orders fulfilled accurately and timely.
- Daily production goal of 9500 lbs per hour for line 1 and 5000 lbs per hour for line 2
- Less than 15% downtime for line 1 and 20% downtime for line 2
- Work with team members maintaining daily sanitation by cleaning work area at end of shift.
- Knows and adheres to GMP policy and all Quality policies and procedures.
- Assists in identifying and or reporting non-conforming product to aid in eliminating waste.
- Communicates daily with Quality to ensure customer specifications are met.
General Expected Behaviors
- Solution Oriented, works to solve problems or achieve outcome
- If needed, find alternative ways to complete a task
- Reacts to challenges by locating or providing solutions.
- Responsible for identifying all requirements of a task, evaluates opportunities or strengths then takes the appropriate action as required.
- Makes timely, well-considered decisions based on current data available and is flexible with scheduled work hours/shifts
- Supports the team by offering to help with unexpected work as needed
- Actively follows and ensures all company policies and procedures.
- Engages other employees in setting high safety awareness standards.
- Include safety emphasis in all employee meetings.
- Wears proper PPE and use appropriate approved supplied lifting devices at all times
- Dependable and punctual to ensure company and workplace goals.
- Treats everyone with respect and dignity.
- Responds to challenges with a sense of urgency, informing other team members as required and acting accordingly.
- Actively assesses information and identifies issues as necessary or required to ensure a friendly workplace.
- Plans and aligns appropriate resources to accomplish company goals.
- Good written and verbal skills and able to communicate in a clear and understanding manner.
- Applies good questioning and listening skills to ensure understanding of information being shared.
- Treats everyone with respect and dignity, even when he/she may not agree on opinions
- Identifies barriers to communication and works towards eliminating barriers.
Additional Sanitation Responsibilities:
- Clean work area and prepare for next shift.
- Follow sanitation schedule for weekends and clean breaks.
Education and/or Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent(GED).
- Experience with food manufacturing Principles and implementation.
- 1-3 years’ production manufacturing experience.
- Must be able to work well both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to clearly present recommendations/ideas and to summarize issues.
- Ability to appropriately handle confidential material.
- Combination of manufacturing environment along with duties that will require employee to work in a production/plant environment where physical hazards such as industrial equipment and forklifts may be present.
Job Physical Demands
- Climbing :ladders, stairs, etc. –using feet and legs or hands and arms 1/3 of the time & continuous Standing
- Lifting: Intermediate lifting up to 55 lbs for up to half your shift (up to 4 hours)
- Stooping: Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist
- Crouching: Bending the body downward and forward by bending legs and spine
- Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction
- Handling: Seizing, holding, grasping, turning, or otherwise working with hand or hands
- Hearing: Perceiving the nature of sounds by ears
- Depth Perception: Three dimensional vision. Ability to judge distances
- Color Vision: Ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Continuous Learning
- Job Knowledge
- Use of Technology
- Problem Solving
- Project Management
- Reasoning Ability
- Exceptional Interpersonal skills
- Team player
- Treats everyone with respect and dignity
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Employee Assistance (EAP)
- Employee Referral Program
- Tuition Assistance (TAP)
- 401K Match
- Paid Vacation and Personal Days
- Paid Holidays
- Bereavement Leave
- Military Leave
- School Leave
- Jury Duty Leave
Core Values “Equip”
- This job is contingent upon satisfactory completion of reference checks, education verification, pre-employment drug screening, and a criminal history check.
EOE – Equal Opportunity Employer
For Additional Information Visit: www.hamptonfarms.com